Monday, June 8, 2009

Home Sweet Home

One final post about our first trip to Kazakhstan.

So we went back to the Hotel Almaty for a short while after our expensive dinner at the coffee shop. We were to be picked up at midnight to head back to the airport for our 3:15am flight to Frankfurt. The Almaty translator (Kate) was a little late due to the high volume of traffic in town that weekend. Maybe you knew this, but England's national soccer team (featuring David Beckham) was in Almaty to play Kazakhstan. England prevailed 4-0. Kate said that there were something like 60 private planes that had flown in filled with rich soccer fans and then of course the regular planes had been jampacked with soccer fans, too. Our flight out had many drunken English soccer fans that were on their way back to London. Anyway, Kate was a little late picking us up.

We found out on the way back to the airport that we had to pay $75 each way for the transfer to the hotel and back to the airport. Add this to the $140 for the room and the $36 paninis, and our layover in Almaty cost over $320. I wish we had known in advance what this stuff was going to cost, because we would have happily taken a nap in their small airport and eaten candy bars and chips for dinner to save that money. Live and learn.

We left Almaty without a hitch for our red-eye to Frankfurt. We were both able to sleep some on the flight, so it wasn't too bad of a flight. We arrived at 6am in Frankfurt and our layover was a fairly short two hours. The flight to Chicago was the bad one...such a long time to be stuck on a plane. And I know that I personally had a hard time sleeping. You know it's bad when you willingly watch Paul Blart: Mall Cop (although The International wasn't too bad). Jenny enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic and Last Chance Harvey instead.

Our layover in Chicago was a quick two and a half hours, but our plane sat on the tarmac (refueling, they said) and we left almost an hour late. Kinda tough to make up that time in the air when the flight itself is only scheduled to be 74 minutes long. Anyway, a big thank you to the Niemillers for picking us up at the airport and we were finally home! LaRosa's for dinner and then we were off to bed early. Yay!

We will likely post again once we receive our court date. At that time we will know when we will be returning to Kazakhstan to bring Max home!

9 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are safely home and can continue preparing to bring Max home. I can't wait to hear, so I'll keep checking the blog. Jenny- let me know if there's anything I can help with. I am so excited for all of you! I will keep Max in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home! I have enjoyed following journey #1. We will be waiting for journey #2. It won't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you both are home, safe and sound. How I have enjoyed reading your blog each day. Can't wait till Max is here with you also!
    Thanks for allowing me to share in your journey.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! I'm just catching up and happy that you are finished with trip 1! It's super tough to leave our little ones behind, but time will passy pretty quickly as you prepare for him and enjoy the last of your kid-free life for awhile. Did I read that you are from Cincinnati? Are you in touch with Karen and Glenn from Cinci? They adopted Max from Kaz last year. www.ourkazakhson.blogspot.com

    Take care,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that my neighbors are back safe and sound. We will be praying for a quick turn around for you to bring Max home. Thanks for enjoying LaRosa's as your welcome home meal. I will have to make sure that Max gets his first taste of good Cincinnati pizza when he arrives in his new hometown. Hugs to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott and Jen-
    What a fantastic and interesting experience! The Jenkins clan is so happy for you guys. We can't wait to meet Max. I can't wait to see and hear all of your travel stories (beyond the blog).

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful blog and testiment to the love this lucky baby is going to have. Congratulations on your baby boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny,
    I am so happy for you! I have really enjoyed reading your blogs! It is such an exciting time and he is sooo cute! - Sarah Heimkreiter

    ReplyDelete