Friday, August 21, 2009

Appeals Period - Day 1

We had a relaxing morning today with some delicious pop tarts to start things off while watching some Mad About You episodes on DVD. We would have preferred to sleep longer, but the jet lag is still kicking our butts (I was up around 5:30am, while Jenny made it to about 7am...you would think that we would sleep for hours on end since we are always tired, but that's just not how it works). Our bodies just aren't on Aktobe time yet. When the banks opened, we had to run out to exchange some US cash for tenge and then run to the market to get some diapers (damn, those are expensive) for the babyhouse. And then we hurried back to the apartment to be picked up at 9:40 for a morning visit with Max.


He seemed happy to see us when his caregiver brought him into the bonding room (wearing what appeared to be similar to a Muslim prayer cap).





He was in a very good mood today and seemed much more at ease with us. We pulled some "new" toys out for him today (actually quite old toys that the orphanage keeps in the room, but they were new to Max). One was a toy drum that had a lid on one side. He must have spent an hour putting things into the drum, closing the lid, opening the lid, and pulling them out again. I was only fascinated for about five minutes, but he was enthralled. Here's a short taste.




He has been making a weird face when he is reaching out to pick up something. Very funny.






Kisses for Mommy.



We've been hoping to go out for shashlik and beers to celebrate our court decision, but we've just been too wiped out by dinnertime. It is 8pm now and we are really dragging after some Spaghetti-O's for Jenny and Chef Boyardee Ravioli for me. Yum.

And since today is August 21st, I would like to say "Happy Birthday!" to my mom (Ginger). Becoming a grandmother (finally) is about the best gift we could think of!

14 more days until we receive custody!!!

7 comments:

  1. Love the videos! Glad he is remembering Mommy and Daddy! I love his big beautiful eyes in the first picture, too. Are they brown? Is his hair light like his eyebrows? What's your weather like? Are you allowed to take him outside for a walk? Will you get to visit in the am for the rest of the waiting period? (I think morning is way better than afternoon!) Let the countdown begin!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about the bestest birthday gift I every got. I love the mommy kisses. He is just soooooo cute. Love the faces. Love and kisses to all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing as sweet in the whole world as a kiss from your child! Happy Birthday to the lucky Grandma - What gift could ever top that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After Max grows tired of the "filling the drum" game, Charlie looks forward to teaching Max how to make loud, nerve-grating noise with the toy drums. It's one of his special skills. (We blame it on both grandpas and Uncle Rick.)

    Get your rest!

    Rp

    ReplyDelete
  5. While Roger is on-line doing research on Kazakhstan, I've been reading your blog to him out loud. I call him over to look at the pictures. It's difficult to read your beautiful story without crying. With only a weekend separating us from the start of school, I have to say that this was the most wonderful diversion from school thoughts. The work you three are doing is so much more spectacular and meaningful than anything I'm preparing for the upcoming week. You have made our day!!!
    Happy birthday to Grandma Ginger, and we send our best across the pond. Roger says that Kazakhstan is HUGE!!!!

    Roger and Karen Rosen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 16 month old son does not give me adorable kisses like that! I am jealous. I am also thrilled for your whole family. Thanks for sharing your story. It really has brought me so much joy!
    -Jill (Tierney) Hudak

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Jenny and Scott and a BIG
    WELCOME to the family for Max.
    The pictures are great. Glad to hear he warmed
    up rather quickly considering how they work this adoption process.
    The kissing picture is precious. Jenny you'll
    have to take one like that of Scott.
    So happy for both of you.
    Love, Aunt Marlene

    ReplyDelete