SLEEP - I am still not very well adjusted to the time difference. It is taking me much longer on this trip than last time to get acclimated. Jenny is not having too much trouble, but this morning I was up at 3:30am and wide awake after only about 5 hours of sleep. That is very atypical for me and I'm also not sleeping straight through when I am getting to sleep. Anyway, it is difficult being so exhausted all the time.
BOREDOM - When we are not visiting Max, we really do not have much to do. We took a walk to the big market today, but that's about it. We spend much of our down time (and there's lots of down time) watching TV (or occasionally reading). No Kazakh TV of course, but stuff we brought with us on the computer (episodes of Mad About You, Ed, Just Shoot Me, Entourage, Better Off Ted, Everybody Loves Raymond, various movies). But we haven't attempted to watch a movie yet because we have been too tired and figured we would fall asleep in the middle of it.
BULOT - Our new driver Bulot, while a nice enough guy, is a frickin maniac behind the wheel. We think he was trained by NYC cabbies. We refer to his car as the Death Cab. Most people slow down as they approach a stop sign or pedestrian, but not Bulot. He came awfully close to hitting two people today, one of whom was crossing in a crosswalk (just not fast enough for Bulot). The thing is, he is typical of drivers in Aktobe. On the way back from the market this afternoon, we actually saw a car bump a woman because she had not gotten all the way across the street when the light changed. That is why we never try to cross unless we are in the middle of a crowd. Safety in numbers. We miss Talgot.
SMELLS - You have never truly experienced an offensive odor until you have smelled what was wafting through the babyhouse today. It is usually pretty bad (especially around meal time), but today was particularly foul. Once we caught a whiff of it, we tried to hold our breath and hustle up to the bonding room (which strangely stays pretty much odor-free). I accidentally inhaled before we got there and started gagging. And the odors are not exclusive to the babyhouse either. The smell outside of our apartment is usually pretty rank as well. Basically, anytime cooking is going on, we have to hold our breath. Sometimes, the air outside isn't too fresh either. Last night, we thought we sensed the aroma of burning garbage and this morning it seemed more like rotten eggs. Just one more thing that makes us miss home.
All right, enough of that.
---------------Beginning of regular post---------------
When Jenny got up this morning around 6:30am (I had already been up for hours at that point), she pointed out that we were shrouded in fog. It was very strange. We can usually see a great distance out our window, but visibility was greatly reduced. It burned off after a couple hours, but it was eerie for a while.
We were on our own at the babyhouse again today. The Natashas were with the new American couple (The Joneses) because they had court today. We love our translator Natasha, but we much prefer to visit Max by ourselves.
.jpg)
It was another good day with Max. He wanted to walk a lot today, but honestly he is really just taking a couple steps and diving toward one of us. He is becoming more and more confident in himself. While walking with one of us, he will sometimes let go and walk solo for a few steps. He does stand up by himself now without needing a chair or the bench or a hand from us.
We brought a stuffed dog that somewhat resembles our dog Sydney. We hope that he gets along with Sydney as well as he does the stuffed animal.
He has been babbling a LOT more on this trip than the first one. He also imitates sounds that we make. If we make the sound of a car while playing with the car, then he tries to mimic it. I was whistling while opening the lid to the drum today, and when he opened it himself he kind of hummed the same sounds I was whistling. It was very cute.
Max loves to knock down the cups that we stack for him.
11 more days until we receive custody!!!

I hope you catch up on sleep soon! Are the smells during cooking time the spices they use?
ReplyDeleteI love watching the video clips of Max. He has such a contagious little giggle and a smile that lights up his whole face.
Is Max still coming to you with a hat on or are they letting his hair grow now?
Love and prayers!
Hey guys!!
ReplyDeleteHe looks like he is doing great and is really bonding with you guys.
Who does Bulot's driving remind you of..maybe Mama's. ha
I cant wait until you guys come home and I get to meet Max. That car in the basement is calling his name!!
Love you!!
Hey, Guys! I rushed back from running errands so I could check your blog (are you thinking I need to get a life??) and I'm sorry to say, am laughing SO HARD at your first part! I remember being so tired I couldn't sleep and when we were at the baby house for visits (with the heat turned up) I would feel like I was in a total fog. I also remember one day thinking, "Seriously? 10 more days of this??" A couple days he was sick and we weren't allowed to visit and I remember thinking, "NOW what are we going to do for 2 hours??" And I don't know about Aktobe, but in Almaty they don't even use lanes in the streets. It is massive chaos. Our driver, Sasha, was meticulous about his car, too, so every time we stopped anywhere, he would get out and clean the windows and wipe any snow off. What do they teach new drivers in drivers ed, is it a "2 second rule" of keeping distance between the car in front? In Kaz, I think it a ".2 second rule."
ReplyDeleteWell, I'd better get something done, here, before the kids ge home. Have you tried the yogurt yet?? Looking forward to tomorrow!
Love,
Laura
HI! I love reading and watching your posts everyday. The videos are great. Max looks so happy as well as you two. I loved watching him crawl into the backpack. I'm glad you were there for his first steps. Can we send you anything? I assume you can get mail (boxes), maybe more CD's. Do you get to take Max outside? Can't wait to meet him. Love to and from all.
ReplyDeleteMom
The world you describe would be Max's world if he wasn't coming to the US with you and Jenny. What a gift you are giving him! Are you going to buy a drum like the one he likes so much to bring home with you? Or is it by Fisher Price???
ReplyDeleteEdith
Scott & Jenny -- glad to keep up with your adventure via the blog... looks like everything is going great.
ReplyDeletei was thinking about the smell issue you wrote about & thought you might benefit from an old social worker trick -- if you can get a hold of a small container of vick's vapor rub, a small amount right under your nostrils eliminates the gag relex for most foul odors
good luck!
julie