Friday, August 28, 2009

Appeals Period - Day 8

Max was a happy little guy again today. Even more so when he got to have an apple as a snack midway through our visit. The caregiver even brought a half an apple for each of us and for Natasha as well. We felt bad though since we cannot eat an apple with the skin on it. We would have had to cut off the skin and make a bit of a mess, so we thanked her and proceeded to sneak it out of the babyhouse without her knowing. We would have felt even worse if she had found it in the garbage can after we left. But Max LOVED his apple. He even attempted to share his treat with us (as he sometimes does during Cheerio-time as well). Very thoughtful of him.




We asked Natasha to take a picture of the three of us for our first "official" family photo. After 9 or 10 tries, these two were as good as it got. We'll try again another time.



As we were leaving, we received yet another piece of bad news. We will not get to visit Max on Sunday. On August 30, Kazakhstan celebrates Constitution Day. We're not sure why this means that we cannot visit though, since obviously the orphanage is not closed (it's not like they can just send the kids home for the day since they are home). But we do what we're told and so Sunday will likely be the most boring day in our lives thus far. We are hoping that we might do an excursion to an outdoor market that our Alaskan friends Shannon and Jonathan recommended called the Sulpak Market. We need to find a cheap stroller that we can use when we get custody of Max. We went to a nearby mall this afternoon to look around and found some strollers, but the cheapest of these was still about $67. We are hoping to not spend more than $30 or so for something we will just use here in Aktobe and then also in Almaty.

10 days until we receive custody!!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know, I kind of like family photo #1! Maybe he is part French and is saying, "Fro-maaaaaage!" You are smart to start hunting for a stroller. I didn't think I'd need one for the trip home (actually I was too cheap to buy one since I already had a couple at home!)and the airports killed me!

    Well, Eric had an upset stomach this morning and I kept him home to keep an eye on him, but after beating me at Bingo, cards and "playing school" I think it is time for him to go to the real thing! Talk to you later!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both the family pictures! Jenny, you look like you are feeling much better. Bummer about Sunday but the end reward is SO worth a bump in the road.

    Have fun shopping and don't forget the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both family photos are Christmas card worthy, but I agree that #1 is already a classic. Except for Charlie Pille, what kid manages to smile so beautifully on cue?? Glad you're feeling better, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo with Max reaching out makes him look like a rock star. Maybe you can go to the alehouse in the business center on Sunday .They have great food and an English menu. I hate the days when the orphanage is closed.

    Jonathan and I ate everything, apples with skins whatever, just washed it. But we were there for so long maybe it is not a great idea. You now have all day Sunday to prepare for his arrival on Sunday.

    The stroller is on the outside of the market, kind of hard to find just keep walking around, but here is an area with about 10 shops that sell strollers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the first family photo where Max has his mouth wide open. Seems like he has a great personality and it really comes thru in the photos.

    Sorry to hear about Sunday. You'll get thru it just knowing you will be seeing Max on Monday.

    I can always post a volleyball update on Monday since we'll be playing a double header.

    Take care!

    Mrs. Bradley ;-)

    ReplyDelete