Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Big News Today!!

Around 3pm today, we got a call from our Almaty coordinator Marina and she gave us perhaps the best news we have heard since our court decision. We get to come home on SATURDAY!!! Max’s visa will be here on Thursday and our passports should be here either Wednesday or Thursday. Marina set up our US Embassy appointment for Friday at 3pm and we are free to leave after that. We quickly emailed our travel agent Leanne to let her know (even though it was like 4am at the time) of our new departure date so she could make the necessary changes. We leave Almaty around 3am on Saturday morning (or Friday night if you prefer) and go to Frankfurt. Then we fly to Washington DC (instead of Chicago) and then on to Cincinnati. We should land around 7:15pm on Saturday night. THAT’S FOUR DAYS SOONER THAN WE HAD PLANNED!!! Obviously, we are excited beyond words.

Well, we did NOT get to go up into the mountains today because the rain never let up. So instead, Kate dropped us off at the MEGA-MALL, the largest mall in all of Kazakhstan. It was about three-quarters the size of Tri-County Mall in the Cincinnati area (I deferred to Jenny, our resident mall-expert on size estimates). It was a nice mall with lots of upscale clothing retailers and a food court that had familiar food (we chose Sbarro for lunch and Max had a hot dog from Starburger). We also made a visit to the PAMCTOP (that’s Ram-store) which is a large grocery store that had a LOT more selection of familiar brands than our nearby market. Leonid picked us up at 12:30 and we came back and hung out here in the apartment all day (did we mention the rain never let up?).

Laura Holland had asked in her comment if we knew where our apartment was located. As near as I can tell on Google Earth (I love me some Google Earth), we are about 2 blocks to the west and 2 blocks to the north of Panfilov Park. Near the corner of Panfilov St. and Makataev Mukagali St. Obviously, only a few of our readers are going to have any idea where these streets are, but we’ll try to get some photos up sometime soon. We have none to share today once again. Actually, we have a couple to share, but I cannot seem to locate the USB cord that connects to our camera, so I am unable to put them on the computer and cannot upload them to the blog. I could have sworn that I packed it, so it either fell out of the backpack or it is sitting on the desk in our Aktobe apartment. Anyway, the Zoom Store has a HUGE electronics department on the first floor, so I am going to look and see if I can get a replacement.

We are hoping to get to the mountains tomorrow if the weather cooperates. The forecast does not look too friendly, so we may be stuck inside all day again. Keep your fingers crossed for some sunshine! We would certainly like to see some of this beautiful city before we leave this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! I can't believe you are going home on Saturday. So wonderfully cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you. I hope the sky clears up and you get to enjoy your new surroundings before you come home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news! I'm so happy for you guys that you get to come home earlier than anticipated. I'm sure you're ready to come home!!!

    Weather forecast looks pretty good too...slight chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday.

    Hope you get to the mountains tomorrow.

    Safe travels!

    Kelleen

    Question: Do they have a Chipotle in the food court?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news! I can't wait. Hopefully you're not stuck inside Wednesday and Thursday. It'd be a shame to miss seeing that part of the country while you're there. Let me know if we can help you in any way.
    Love and prayers to all,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting!! I am very happy for all of you! Wish you all the best and safe travels home. Don't worry...it is raining here so we all are stuck inside.

    LaRosa's is way better than Sbarro! Love ya!!

    The McChristian's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo-hoo!! Great news!! Today is Wednesday right now and your Wednesday is already over! Saturday is sooo close!! Can't wait until you are all safely home! Try to check out the huge museum (history of Kaz) before you leave. You could spend 3 days there it was so big, but it really gave a solid picture of the history and culture of Kaz (just in case you haven't absorbed enough "culture" while you were there!). I think that was also the place with the cheapest dream quilts! Did you see the escalator that flattened out for the shopping carts at the Ramstore mall? Wild! Stock up on those snacks for the flights home! Do you think you can carry on enough food to get hungry boy home?? Whoever picks you up from the airport better be armed with double cheeseburgers!!

    Sending prayers...
    Laura

    ReplyDelete