Friday, May 29, 2009

Bonding Day #9

Someone mentioned to Jenny that being here is sort of like the movie Groundhog Day. It is so true. Each day we get up and have Pop Tarts that we brought while we watch DVD episodes of 30 Rock on our sweet 42 inch flatscreen, which we did not bring (did I mention how nice our apartment is?). Then we get changed and cleaned up for the day. We usually take a walk and head to the grocery at some point to buy another 5-liter container of water (I think we are on our 6th or 7th one of those). Occasionally, we will have some appointment for signing papers or meeting with an official, but otherwise, we tend to do the same thing each day. Today, we found this new marketplace. It was kinda like Findlay Market, but indoors and with other little shops than just food. We bought two potatoes (when Jenny held up two fingers, the lady tried to sell us two kilograms instead) and an onion, although without any spices, I'm not sure what the gourmet will be preparing. I guess just fry 'em up with butter. Yum. We are currently on the lookout for some place to swipe some salt and pepper for seasoning. We did, however, discover Kazakhstan chocolate today and it is very good. We will definitely be getting more of that.




Anyway, on to Bonding Day #9. We got another smile from Max when he was brought in to the bonding room and Jenny says I have to mention that he also reached out to me (but I think he was pointing to his toys). Our bonding sessions also have a Groundhog Day kind of vibe, not that we're complaining. He has already gotten into a few routines. Crawling to the bench to stand up and play with his cups and rings, walking back and forth between us while holding hands, ending the session with some Cheerios, etc. Again, it is not a complaint since we have been very happy with our bonding sessions, but it has gotten repetitive.


Below are some video clips from today...


He has started to make a silly face when he is concentrating. Here he was retrieving cups and rings from my lap and putting them on the bench.




Here he is having fun with his cups and rings at the bench.


And here is another clip of Cheerios-time. We have been teaching him the sign for "more" and after only one day of instruction, he has started to do it without our prompting. How about that! We've said it before, this kid is a genius!

6 comments:

  1. That speech pathology training really paid off! Thanks for all the updates. I've really enjoyed reading everything. We're thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little guy has a lot of teeth! Max is doing great with the sign language. He is definitely one intelligent young man.

    Margie


    I've enjoyed seeing all of the pictures and videos of Max. We look forward to hearing from you everyday. Max is quite a fine little man.
    I love his smile!! Eat more choclate.

    Nancy T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like DanA when concentrating with that lip thing he does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again,
    Max sure does look happy. Well they didn't put a jacket on him unless you took it off.
    How warm did it get?
    You were saying how it is kind of repetitious; when PJ comes to my house he tends to go to the same things all the time and I remember that same thing with the others too. I'm sure that is very normal. I am assuming you brought
    along the toys he plays with and that's all there is.
    Well, enjoy these last days.
    Does he give hugs and kisses?
    I really enjoy reading your blog everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG that signing is fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my Mom is watching with me and she thinks he is ADORABLE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete