Thursday, May 21, 2009

It's a boy!!

Introducing our son Maximilian Michael Louis!!




He is 18 months old and his given name is Michael (which is pronounced like Mick-isle which is the Russian pronunciation) Fyedorovich (which is a form of Theodore) and then his last name. His nickname in the orphanage is Misha which is the traditional Russian nickname for Michael. He was born in Aqtobe, Kazakhstan but is of Russian descent. He is small for his age, but the doctor at the orphanage has assured us that he is very healthy. Here are some more fun pictures and we'll describe the meeting below.











On Wednesday, we were taken to meet an official from the Ministry of Education (who run the orphanages) for a brief meeting. We were asked our names and our occupations and then we left with her to go to the baby home. At the baby home, we met even more briefly with the Orphanage Director who asked where we were from and then requested our passports. We then were asked to step out into the hallway while they had a short discussion. When the door opened he said "Good Luck!" in Russian and we left for the other baby home for the younger children.





At this orphanage, we met with the head doctor, a very nice woman, who told us that there were not many children available and all that they had were boys. Our only request was for a child as healthy and as young as possible. We sat there for an eternity of 10 minutes waiting for him to be presented to us. A caregiver entered and handed Misha over to us. We played with him for a few minutes and he wasn't too interested in the toys we brought. However, he did interact with us and had good eye-contact. Eventually, we even got him to laugh and smile. While this was going on, the doctor was giving us what little history they have of him and his current medical status. She offered to show us two other boys, but that they were not as healthy as Misha. We declined to meet with them and asked to begin the bonding period with Misha. The doctor was pleased with our decision.





In Kazakhstan, adoptive parents travel without knowing anything about the children available. They choose a child when they arrive. Since we had such an immediate reaction to Misha, we did not want to put ourselves in a position to say no to any child. Once a child is chosen, the bonding period begins and lasts for 15 days. Sadly, we will only be able to visit once per day instead of the previous policy of twice-a-day visits. Apparently, they are concerned about spreading diseases with so many people coming and going. So we will be seeing Misha once a day from 4-6pm.





Today, our visit #1 started a little late at around 4:20. We played with him in the bonding room until about 5:40 when the nurse returned with his dinner, porridge and tea. She asked if we would like to feed him. Of course, we would. However, he did not need our help at all. At 18 months old, this kid is already feeding himself with spoon and drinking from a teacup. I tell ya, this kid's a genius!







We would like to thank everyone that has checked out this blog and especially those that left comments (keep 'em coming!). All of the prayers and support have helped more than you will ever know. We may even have some video in a little while. Stay tuned!

26 comments:

  1. Nancy, Roseann and I are all in the office jumping up and down for joy! Congratulations - he is beautiful!!!

    We love the picture of your son, Maximilian, reaching for you. He knows who his mommy is!

    We are all so excited for your family!

    Love you guys!
    Nancy, Roseann and Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new nephew is so adorable. I'm such a proud aunt I've already shared the photo's.

    He's adorable and I love the name.
    Congratulations guys we're so happy for you!!!
    Love you,
    Jacque & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am overcome with tears of joy. This is the most wonderful day. He is beautiful. Guess what...you are a family.

    P.S. Love the name! Charlie can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen a smile like that on my beautiful sister in a long time! I know Max will be a heartbreaker.....Look out Westside class of '26. That boy has no idea what has just arrived at his door. He has been blessed immeasurably by becoming Maximilian Michael Louis, almost as much as you guys have been = )
    Looks like an old soul to me.....
    Congratulations and I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS, MOM & DAD!
    I'm so happy for everyone. Can't wait to meet Max. That will be the longest couple months ever. Love to and from all,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such GREAT news! Congratulations Scott, Jenny, and Maximilian!! Many prayers and blessings upon you and your new family!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crying here at work reading this, so awesome!

    Dave H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at that superior hand-eye coordination! That focus as he works the ring stacker! And most of all, that gorgeous smile!! Get him back here soon, introduce him to a few of the specials at PHC and soon he'll have a Joe Huber spread of his own! Congratulations to all three of you. Peace, Jennifer and Sean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny and Scott-
    I have been waiting for these pictures since my mom said Mama called to tell about him. I heard characteristics but he is even cuter than I imagined. I am sooo happy for you two and I cannot wait to see more pictures and hear everything about him. I am expecting lots of pics and updates. You are two of the most deserving people and I am soo happy for you. Can't wait to hear more updates on my new little cousin!!!!! I love you both so much!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Jenny and Scott,
    Max is beautiful. I even thought he favored
    both of you. This is such a happy time for
    you and all your family. I look forward to
    getting to know him. It was a long wait but I'm sure it was well worth it.
    Love and prayers to all three of you,
    Aunt Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fake-uncle Rodg is dying to know... what to call the little man? Misha? Max? Michael?

    Actually I am ordering his Team Hudy softball jersey. Expect him to be first string catcher within the decade.

    Can't wait to meet him!!!! Best news all year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing sight...you with your sweet little boy! He is absolutely precious! I couldn't be happier for you both...you FINALLY have what you deserve and have been waiting so long for. Keep the pictures coming...this is so exciting!
    Love and prayers from the WESTSIDE!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Max is a real cutie and can't wait to meet him. I know it was a long road, but well worth the wait. You are two very special people and deserve the much awaited happiness. I told Sydney she has as new brother and she also can't wait to meet him. Take care.
    Lots of love, Mom (Jan)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
    The Tierneys are SO EXCITED for you guys and can't wait to meet Max! You all look so happy! You are going to be AMAZING parents...Enjoy your time with him! What a great day!
    We love you!
    Robyn, Sean, and Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to hear. Congrats! Maddie Rose gives a "coo" and smile of approval. Sorry we may miss you this time into town, but then we can meet Max and you Madelyn at the same time. Enjoy your bonding time. Love always from Utah.
    Louie, Mary and Madelyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy and excited for you guys that I don't know what to say. I'm sending tons of love and prayers your way for continued happiness. (I can't wait until I teach MML during his freshman year at Elder!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. He looks like a keeper. Jenny and Scott and I don't think I have seen such beautiful glowing happy expressions on your faces since your wedding day. can't wait to meet MML. guess we have an excuse to be traveling to Cincinnati this fall.(like we need one) Brady joins me in sending "congrats", much love, hugs and of course prayers. Be safe, Aunt Renie

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is soooooooo cute!!! We can't to see him. We're so happy for you both. Skip's polishing up on his jokes--so get ready!!!! We promise we won't spoil him (NOT)!!!! We are looking forward to more pictures. We love you guys, travel safe and give Max a hug for us.
    Love
    Uncle Skip and Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Words cannot express the joy I have in my heart right now. I can only imagine the joy in yours. Your family is beautiful! What a precious miracle! Eli smiled so big when he saw Max's picture and Jordan came running down the steps to see him. They love that he drank from a tea cup! Jordan thinks he needs to be eating Skyline :) We could not be happier for you and look forward to more updates. We love you so very much!
    Shannon and Tim and Family

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhhhh! (tears in the eyes) Yea, Scott, Jenny and Baby Misha/Max!! He looks GREAT! Look at that mouthful of teeth! He also looks very warm and cozy with his layers...:) brings back sooo many memories! That is great that they let you feed him. We had to sneak cookies in to keep Eric interested in us because we also had that ghastly 4 - 6 visiting time. Right before dinner, during the afternoon nap. Was the tea hot? I remember thinking that if it were mine I'd have to let it cool off first! OK, here come the questions. Does he walk? Does he have hair? What color? Rip off that hat tomorrow and snatch a picture for me real quick! (I also like to see little feet if you can manage it.) Scott, is he afraid of you? Has he seen a man before?? Have you found any toys that he likes yet? I remember Eric wasn't into our toys at first and we found this great train there. (Made by Chicco?) We paid way too much for it before we realized that shopping at the mall costs about 10x that of a "market". Not sure about your region, though. Do you have internet in your fancy apartment?? Is your kitchen RED? (Now I want one.) Do you have a microwave?? OK, I'll stop. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!! Big kisses to you all!! Today is my birthday -- tell Max I'll always remember his special day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Scott & Jenny -- congratulations!!
    we're so happy for you, all 3 of you!

    julie, pete, pj & grant

    ReplyDelete
  23. CONGRATULATIONS MOMMY AND DADDY LOUIS!!!!!
    I had to break out a new box of Kleenex for that update! You are a BEAUTIFUL family and your glow is lighting up Cincinnati tonight. If every child were wanted and loved as much as Max, the world would truly be a perfect place! This has been such a long and difficult journey for you both but today starts a brand new journey full of more happiness than you can even imagine. Many hugs to all of you!!!
    Love,
    Jen, Mike, Elise and Connor =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. awwww love the name and he is adorable--you guys look wonderful together!!!
    we are very very excited!!!!
    Love
    Bob nance and jessa:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!!! He's adorable!

    Caroline, Tom, Caleb and Biagia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny & Scott, we are so very happy for you. What a beautiful little boy. Enjoy every moment with him. All three of you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    JoAnne

    ReplyDelete