We got a nice smile from Max when they brought him into the bonding room. He also (kinda) reached out to us, which was nice to see. They had him bundled up again with like three layers and a hat even though it was about 76 degrees and sunny outside. We took the hat off as soon as the caregivers had left the room. Of course, people walk through the bonding room every 15 minutes or so, but no one stopped to scold us for having his hat off or letting him play around on the floor by the bench instead of on our clean blanket. He must have liked his head being rubbed because he kept feeling the top of his noggin (maybe he just likes the feel of his hair, which seems like they are letting grow instead of shaving it. He was completely bald when we first started the bonding process.). Here's our first family photo...

And here's some smiley photos without his little hat...
.JPG)
.JPG)
We are definitely missing home. It is a weird feeling for us. We want to stay here to see Max of course, but we are ready to be back home where we do not get stared at wherever we go and there is no language barrier. The people here must rarely see Americans because they all give us the eyeball as we pass by and they are not very subtle about it either. The language barrier is especially frustrating because we are without our interpreter the majority of the time. She is only with us for official adoption business. The other problem is this Cyrillic alphabet. Since there are so many characters that are not letters to us, we can't even sound out the words we are seeing. And some of their letters get pronounced differently. Their H is pronounced like our N and their Z is like our number 3. That gets to be very frustrating. At least when we went to France, Spain, and Italy, we could sound out the word and recognize root words that were common in the English language (or Latin for me). It's not that we dislike the country or that we are miserable here, it is just frustratingly different at times.
But tonight, we went out to dinner by ourselves (no interpreter and no Jonathan and Shannon) and it was a success. We went to the cafe attached to the bowling alley/pool hall and had a pizza and a soda. It was a close approximation of American pizza, so that helped. It was basically a pepperoni pizza with no pizza sauce. Very greasy, but not bad at all.
Love the family portrait! Even though you are getting homesick, savor the quiet moments while you can. When you return, it will certainly get hectic as you prepare to bring Max home. I'm glad to hear you got to enjoy some good ole American food!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the family photo. Max's grin says it all, "I'm one lucky dude"
ReplyDeleteIn all seriousness he's quite a handsome man. He resembles Jenny from the pictures.
Love Ya,
Jac
Well, certainly we miss you guys too. But in time, you'll ALL be back here and we'll take Max out for a REAL pizza... with sauce and stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious: for your next post, maybe update everyone on the timeline of events? You had said you're heading back home in about a week. Then home for how long before you travel back for the official process?
Basically I'm asking... when the heck do I get to meet Max?!
That first family photo is absolutely frameworthy! And Scott, you're sporting something of a "half smile" yourself. Maybe that's where Max learned it?? :)
ReplyDeletePeace, Jennifer and Sean
Love the family pic. Cannot wait for you to get home to get together and debrief you :)
ReplyDeleteWe are happy to assist the two of you in any way when you get back to be sure you are settled and ready for the trip back to get your beautiful son.
Shannon
Sorry you are feeling homesick. Let me keep you busy with a few questions... Are you getting out to do much sightseeing? (Are there sights to see?? Besides the giraffe, of course.) Is your translator available for any other "excursions"? Have you eaten shashlik yet? Do they have food carts on street corners serving mystery meat baked into bread? HAVE YOU SEEN HIS TOES YET?? Did you find the 65 cent beer with the tiger on the bottle? Do they have funny little "huts" near the apartment areas selling cigarettes, vodka, candy and beer? Do you spend a disturbing amount of time in your apartment? Do you wish you hadn't invited me to follow your blog?
ReplyDeleteOK, can't wait to hear more. You know, I love the picture of the 3 of you. It looks SO RIGHT. Can't wait to see this guy!!
I LOVE the family picture!! We can't wait to meet Max!
ReplyDeleteI love to see Max's smile! He is absolutely adorable! Happiness radiates from your first family photo, and with each day, you are getting that much closer to adoption. How much time will you have back home before returning? Jenny, I'd love to help you get things ready if you need an extra hand. I totally understand getting the "eyeball" from people, especially when I'm nursing in public! LOL It's all worth it though! We'd do anything for our babies!!
ReplyDeleteHey guys-
ReplyDeleteEveryone looks great in the family picture. You all look so happy to be together. Max looks so adorable. I am soo excited for you guys and I cant wait to see you guys and hear every little detail about Max. Enjoy the time you have with him. Give him a big hug and a kiss from me and tell him I love him already. I love you guys!!
Love
Kristin
Hey,
ReplyDeleteYeah, I would be missing home right about now, too. Scott is clearly not missing his damn fantasy team (1st Place for S.L.). Probably wouldn't have happened had Scott taken me up on my offer to manage his team during his absence.
Cool video with Max eating Cheerios. I gotta believe that the "initial excitement" you described in Day 7 will come. I got home from work the other day and my three-year old daughter saw me enter the room, then yelled, loudly, "NOOOO!!" and ran away screaming. The excitement comes and goes. Sounds like with all of the attention you're giving him during your time together that he's already bonding with both of you.
That's awesome he's got such dedicated caregivers. Max is cute kid. Good photos. It's fun to follow your journey from afar.
P.S. "Rachel" of that last post--ad this one--is Matt K.'s wife, who maintains the Google account. So that clears things up for about four people.
ReplyDeleteGreat photo!! Love that he is starting to know you. I'll make sure that I get Max his first pizza from the best Cincinnati pizzeria- LaRosa's of course! Miss seeing you at Bigg's.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to meet Max!
oh wow--that family portrait is amazing!!!! I love it, and you guys are all beautiful together.
ReplyDeletewith love,
nance
do not know how I missed the family photo but just want to say it is wonderful to see all of your beautiful smiling faces together. I'm sure it will be hard to leave but your wonderful photo journal should help you during the weeks ahead until you return to bring Max home to Cincinnati. Safe travels. hugs, Renie & Brady
ReplyDelete